Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Have a hard mass in the abdomen. What is it?

My name is Madison and I am a 17-year-old caucasian female. For the past year I have noticed that when I lay flat on my back or if I suck in my stomach , I can feel a large mass that is under and around my belly button and lower abdomin. The mass is hard and does not budge when pressure is applied. There is also no pain unless i apply significant pressure to it. The right side of my abdomen is slightly more pronounced than the left. When i push on the sides of my belly-button, the mass pushes through my fingers and protrudes through my belly-button, making me an outie. I know that this mass has not been here for my entire life. What could this be? Who should I see?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  7537
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Oncologist, Surgical 's  Response
hi madison, its really nice to know that u have got a good observation sense. u have depicted the things like a clinical examination by doctor, its admirable.
with ur history i could say that it is a right sided hard, mobile, pelvic mass. i do't want to put u in distress but it could be a sign for cancerous mass, or it may be a non cancerous mass even. at this point i would like to say that u should get a checkup done from a gynaecologist, as an initial investigation and abdomino-pelvic ultrasound is needed. further investigations will be guided by USG report. i will be ready to answer ur further questions on this.
Answered: Sat, 31 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. M Y Shareef's  Response
Hi ! The mass itself you have described signifies that there is an abnormal growth from any of the intra-abdominal organs in your body. As it is noted by you for the last one year, let us presume that possibly it is a benign lesion. However, to be sure and to exclude any thing otherwise, it has to be investigated with advanced radiological modalities ( ultrasound, CT scan and MRI if need be ) after being clinically examined by a surgeon. If on investigations, it comes out to be a pelvic mass from the reproductive organs, then you may have to consult a gynaecologist for further management.
Whatever the management comes out to be, it is better be done at the earliest so that you can have better recovery and prognosis. So consult your doctor/family physician/surgeon at the earliest. Take care and good luck.
Answered: Sun, 1 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor