Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
179 Doctors are Online

Have S in Hb. Negative for sickle cell trait. How to test partner?

i did a sickle cell trait and themianasis test with my partner and the result is negative,now i go for hb electrophoresis and they detect S in our haemoglobin....and required for a further we proceed.......while am doing all this test is because i dont want to give birth to a sickler...cos of AS(GENOTYPE)...but i dnt know my partners own here...and no such test to know if his AA OR AS here in mail i.d is YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Sat, 20 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  34
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Thanks for placing your query here.
I can appreciate your concerns.
All you & your partner need is an hemoglobin electrophoresis or HPLC (high performance liquid chromatography ) test.
I am sure the test should be available in pakistan.
If both are AS (sickle cell trait) ,the chances of baby being SS (sickle cell disease) are 25% with each child birth.
If one is AA & the other is AS , the baby at the max can be AS only (no reason to worry)
Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Answered: Thu, 25 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pathologist and Microbiologist Dr. Sangita's  Response

Thanks for placing your query in this forum.

Its good that you are concerned for your baby .For screening of your spouse Hb electrophoresis /HPLC is reqd. I hope this test may be available in Pakistan. If it comes positive then only genotyping is reqd for further action.

If both are AS chances of disease is 25% .If one is AA and other is AS then there is nothing to worry

Answered: Sat, 27 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor