Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Hairline crack, teeth color change to black, front teeth coming out. Advised rct. Advise?

Hello sir,
Self has an x-ray of my front teeth.Found a very thin hairline crack which the doctor is saying is the reason for my teeth slowly turning into black in colour.Advised to go for RCT.But that time i was in india. Now i m working in china.It was almost a year when i did the xray. But so far now i have no pain , at times have sensations.But the colour change has incresed from the last year. Pls advise what can be done at Dalian,China. I will be working for next 1.5 year.Also my front two teeth is slightly coming outside for whivh i want to recorrect and realign my teeth so have to have a good smile. Kindly advise the best option available at dalian ,china

Asked On : Tue, 2 Apr 2013
Answers:  9 Views:  266
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Lab Tests
Dentist 's  Response
Hello there ,

Thanks for writing your query,

Hairline fracture in the front teeth indicates that your teeth has undergone physical trauma or impact which may have made the teeth devital.

discoloration of teeth after trauma is usually seen when the teeth are dead or devital.

Such teeth are saved by root canal procedure, provided the periodontal status of the tooth is good. That is, if the tooth is not mobile.

Root canal procedure disinfects the tooth by removing the infected nerve tissue and the root canals are cleaned,shaped and filled with permanent restorative material.

Once the treatment is completed , the fractured tooth can be restored with a prosthetic crown coverage.

please discuss the treatment plan with the local dentist in dali,china . im sure they will help you out .

i hope this helps ,

take care.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
The color change in the tooth is due to the pulp getting necrosed and dead. The root canal treatment of the tooth should be started immediately and a crown should be placed over it. The tooth positioning can be corrected by an Orthodontist after examining the space available and the x rays like OPG and Lateral cephalogram. Get the Root canal treatment done by an Endodontist.

Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Shefali Gupta's  Response
Thanks for asking query,
The crack in your tooth is due to fracture which occur due to impact trauma , the discloration is due to the necrosis of pulp, pulp degenaration.
You go to the dentist have the fresh xray done , it will give the clear about the periapical condition of the tooth , have the root canal treatment done followed by crown prosthesis of the tooth.
For the correction of alingment you should consult the orthodotist.
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

As you have mentioned you had a hairline fracture in your front tooth which is now showing discolouration and sensitivity i would suggest you to take a fresh x-ray of the tooth which will show the periapical condition of the tooth, you have to go for the root canal treatment of the tooth followed by the prosthetic crown placement.

You also mentioned that your front teeth are proclined you need to visit to an Orthodontist and get a checkup done. There is no specific age limit for orthodontic corrections but it is more effective in young age. I would suggest you to take an OPG x-ray which will give the diagnosis and treatment plan.
Discuss your problem with a Dentist there.

Hope this helps out.

Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Tarush Thakur's  Response
Thanks for writing,

The color change in your tooth is due to that crack only and it will only deteriorate with time. As your doctor advised, you have to undergo root canal procedure. Now that you are in china for one and a half years, do find a suitable dental clinic or maybe your colleagues can advice you better.

Regarding the front two teeth, you need to consult a orthodontist, who is expert in aligning the teeth. At your age you can still have the treatment done, which will require 1-1.5 years depending on various factors. You can also continue the treatment at India in case you return before that.

Stay healthy,
Thank you.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Dentist Dr. Sushma Rajesh's  Response

Thanks for posting your query.

I understand that you are facing a problem with your front teeth.Are both the teeth showing change in colour? It looks like you had some kind of injury to your front teeth which has caused hairline fracture and subsequent colour changes. This colour will become darker as there is damage to pulp. Subsequently it may present as a collection of pus in the root which is called periapical abscess. Hence root canal treatment is needed.

I would advise you to undergo rootcanal treatment . I am sure there are good dentists in China who can take care of this. After rootcanal you need to crown the teeth. This will take care in aligning your teeth plus making it aesthetically pleasing. Go for metal free creamic crown which offer best results.

Take Care

Dr.Sushma Rajesh
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM forum,
I would like to inform you that the discoloration of the tooth is from the crack. Root canal treatment is the best available option to correct this condition. After the RCT is completed a cap or a crown will be placed on your tooth to correct the discoloration.
I cannot advise you on which dentist to visit in China, But kindly see an endodontist(root canal specialist).
Also, at your age we cannot realign the teeth as we can do it during teenage years but do not worry, a dentist can definitely make your smile look better by placing caps or veneers on your front teeth.
Kindly see a dentist soon.
I hope i answered your query.
i wish you good health.
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

It is true that the change in colour of your tooth is due to fracture suffered by the tooth.slowly it has turned non vital.

The colour change signifies hemoglobin breakdown.

Its nice that it has remained asymptomatic till now but it can develop into periapical infection anytime.therefore it is best to go for root canal as soon as possible.

Regarding your front teeth you can approach your orthodontist and get your teeth aligned.
but first RCT will be done before starting ortho treatment.

Hope it helps.


Take care.
Answered: Mon, 29 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Thanks for posting your query.
The discolouration of tooth may be due to periapical infection as a result of hairline crack on tooth.
Root canal treatment is indicated in such cases.
Crown has to be placed then.
Protruding teeth are usually corrected using orthodontic appliances.
Please do get a thorough clinical as well as radiological evaluation.
Maintain good oral hygiene.
Get scaling and fillings done after consulting with your dentist.
Take care.
Answered: Tue, 30 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor