Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Electrical feeling in the tooth after eating, intense pain during gargling. Chances of losing filling from the tooth?

hi i just finished eatin and i tooth in the back i felt when the food touched it as if an electrical current was going through me, then i went and gargled with NACL and water shot up that tooth and i thought i was going to felt like an electric current was going through.......could i have lost my filling from that tooth thank you
Asked On : Fri, 27 Jul 2012
Answers:  7 Views:  110
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Dentist 's  Response
you are absolutely right.The pain in your already filled tooth is due to the damage or any kind of leakage to the tooth.There is a chance of secondary carries of that tooth.the severe pain is due to dentin sensitivity.visit your dentist and get an x-ray of that tooth.according to that we can decide whether the tooth is periapically infected or not.hope you will get well soon.
Answered: Fri, 27 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Bibhu Dutt Nanda's  Response
hello and welcome to HCM forum,
first of all i would like to inform you that as i cannot check your tooth clinically , therefore won't be able to confirm that whether the filling has dislodged or it has fractured due to which irritants are seeping in and causing sensitivity and pain.
you have not mentioned about the nature of pain or sensitivity and does it radiate or is it localized, anyways, there is something wrong with the filling due to which you are facing problem,therefore i would suggest you to visit your dentist soon and get the filling replaced before its get late.
i wish you good health,
take care.
Answered: Fri, 27 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Welcome to health care magic forum.
I read your query,according to the detail given by you it seems that it is possible that you have lost your filling.
So i will suggest you please go back to your dentist as soon as possible and get the x-ray done of that tooth,because according to the detail given by you it seems that you have deep infection in that tooth,for that the treatment is root canal treatment.
Nothing to get worried.
Take care.
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Answered: Fri, 5 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Sumra's  Response
Welcome to HCM
I went through your history & would like to tell you that your problem is not a major problem.All this problem is arising because of your faulty restoration.Although i can't see it clinically but would like to tell you it might be because of some faulty restoration or some secondary caries beneath it or some fractured restoration.
I would like to ask you:-
-whether this started after getting restoration?
-do you feel some high point on biting?
You need to go for an IOPAR done of associated teeth & complete dental check-up.
Do it before this infection reaches periapically & results in pus formation.

Take Care

Answered: Sat, 6 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Geoffrey Ward's  Response
Hello and thank you for your question.

Based on what you have described it sounds like the tooth has a restoration that is either broken or has fallen out. The best thing to do is to go to your dentist and have the tooth evaluated. The sooner you get in the quicker you can have the pain relieved.

Dr. Ward
Answered: Sat, 13 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist, Prosthodontics Dr. Shivangi Gajwani Jain's  Response
The severe pain you experienced is due to either secondar caries below your filling or else the filling is dislodged and the nerves are getting affected by local irriatnts such as food and water. The exat problem can be determined after checking the tooth clinically and if required then x rays need to be taken. The dentist will either redo your filling if it has dislodged or if the infection has spread to the nerves then maybe a root canal will be required. i strongly recommend you to visit your dentist to solve your problem, till then avoid extreme temperatures in food and water(very cold or hot).
Answered: Tue, 7 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Inderpreet Singh's  Response
it could be sensitive tooth or a carious tooth. go to a dentist and first ascertain the cause and then the treatment would be directed .
Answered: Sun, 14 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor