Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Drank carbonated flavoured water. Started vomitting white, creamish liquid frequently. See the doctor?

My daughter is 22 months old her name is Callie. Yesterday she drank about 40 oz. of carbonated flavored water. At about 1am she started to puke it back up. It was white and creamyish. After puking 5 times which left us 2am she stopped. So this morning assuming she was fine I gave her some milk this was around 8am. Around 9:15 am she puked it back up. It was white and creamy and a little bit chunky. She is acting like her normal happy little self. She has puked 6 times and I am worried. Do I bring her in or not?
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  10
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

It sounds like she may have gastroenteritis. This may be associated with vomiting alone or be composed on both vomiting and diarrhoea.
Rehydration, especially in children is the most important aspect of treatment.

Dehydration would be associated with symptoms such as (1)drowsiness ( you mentioned that she is still quite alert and playful)
(2)increased heart rate,
(3)dry skin,
(4)decreased wet pampers,
(5) lack of tears on crying,
(6) dry appearance of the tongue ,
(7) tenting of the skin (when the skin is pulled up , it remains in this position).

It is important that you do not give her alot to drink all at once. When the stomach is irritated, taking too much will worsen or bring on the vomiting. Give her a small amount of fluid ( about 1 tbs), wait 5 to 10 mins and give her another set, if she tolerates the first.
The best fluid to use would be the oral rehydration fluids like pedialyte which would contain the fluid and electrolytes that she needs to replace. Avoid milk, this can sometimes make it worse.

You can try this initially, if she does not tolerate oral fluids then you can take her to see her doctor.

I hope this helps
Answered: Mon, 25 Mar 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor