Why causes dizziness and discomfort when on epilepsy medication?

Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in General Health
Question: Hello Doctor, I had a seizer couple weeks ago. I have been taking pills to prevent it from happen again. Now I feel dizzy, and I don't feel too good. I just don't feel right. What's wrong with me? What can I do? Thanks. Cheng Chow
Answered by Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please get youself investigated and send detailed Detailed Answer: Hi cheng I am Dr (Prof)Narottam Lal XXXXXXX Psychiatrist and ex chaiman of Psychiatry of a Medical University Lucknow india You have developed certain symptoms after starting of drugs .Am I right? You were diagnosed as Epilepsy as i understand from the word seizure and now you are on drugs Most of drugs for epilepsy are known to cause such side effects. I would like you to kindly provide me detailed history of seizure/s lncluding did you had injured yourself ;any history of tounge bite; bleeding from mouth ;was it a single seizure or more than one seizure before drug was started . Please also provide the generic name and dosages of drug.Did you undergo CT head / MRI head and Electro Encephelogram study ;if you have undergone these test please provide the test result.If you have not undergone these tests please undergo thses tests and provide results All these will help me to underst the type and nature of seizure/s .You belong to 60 plus age group where first seizure may be because of some underlying intracranial disease which may require separate tratment. .Plus 60 age group person having seizure first time should always be investigated throughly. It appears the drug is producing side effects. FOR a definite opinion above informations are required. I hpoe you will take trouble of reverting back with the requested informations Wish that you do better and recover from your troubles May I help you in any other way Bestwishes Dr Narottam Lal Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal 35 minutes later
Hello Doctor, Thanks for your response. I had the seizure three weeks ago. I went to the hospital. We did CT scan blood test, EEG test. All normal. My brother is a doctor. He thinks it's caused by low blood pressure. I kind of agree. But with the pills I'm taking, it caused my dizziness. What can I do? Anything else can I do to help? Thanks. Cheng Chow
Answered by Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal 6 hours later
Brief Answer: Plenty of fluids intake orally Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for prompt reply and providing some information. You have not mentioned the name and dosage of the drug that you have been prescribed. Unfortunately, it becomes difficult to comment or suggest you in such a case. However, I am of the opinion that You are not tolerating the drugs. If I were your treating doctor, I would suggest you to stop all drugs for now. Please discuss about this option with your primary treating doctor. I am also of the opinion that you do not need treatment for seizure at present. Plenty of fluids orally in the form of fruit juices, tender coconut water, electral solution will help in preventing the dizziness. To keep a watch in future 1. Watch for reoccurrence, which is unlikely 2. If there is reoccurrence, please go for repeat of the initial tests 3 Please keep a watch on your BP and blood sugar regularly Wish you Happy Christmas and Healthy life Dr Narottam Lal Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal 12 hours later
Hello Dr. Lai, Sorry I didn't give you the seizure pill name. It's Levetiracetam. Are you familiar with it? Your other suggestions are good. I'll try. Thanks. Cheng Chow
Answered by Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Thaks that you liked the suggestions Detailed Answer: Hi Cheng Yes I am familiar with the drug which you have communicated. Drowsiness, dizziness, weakness, etc are side-effects of this medicine. You should see your doctor regarding these side-effects. You are welcome to forward me reports if you think it is still required. If you are satisfied and you have no further query we may close this conversation on a happy note of wishing happy and merry Christmas. Dr Narottam Lal india
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal 3 hours later
Happy Holidays to you too. Cheng Chow
Answered by Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal 3 days later
Brief Answer: Welcome Detailed Answer: You are welcome Wish you good health Regards
Follow up: Dr. (Prof) Narottam Lal 5 hours later
Hello Doctor, thanks for your reply. Can I ask another question? Right now, my pressure goes up and down. And I don't feel good at all. My heart feels a little bit tight. And I still have a little bit of dizzyness. I'm not taking that pill right now. But I just don't feel right. What's wrong with me. Please help. Thanks. Cheng Chow