Does Nortriptyline cause dizziness?

I have benign positional lightheadedness and migraine headaches. I have been prescribed nortriptyline 50 mg night to prevent for migrain headaches, but they seem to be a complication for lightheadedness. The migraines occur mostly in the early morning (3 - 5 mornings a week) which is leaving me sleep deprived. I prefer to take the nortriptyline to tamp down the headaches. However, I am concerned that taking it may cause unexpected or severe side effects with regard to the lightheaded ness. Any help would be appreciated.
Thu, 21 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Side-effects related to central nervous system are quite common with tricylclic drugs like amitryptyline, these include dizziness, sedation, agitation, aggression, and lightheartedness, these all and a lot more may occur with these drugs so if you are not comfortable with it, i would advise you should talk to your doctor to change it as we have more better options for migraine like inderal , topiramate, valproic acid and alot more.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.