Do birth control pills cause gallstones?

Last week I was started on a combination birth control pill to stop bleeding that has been ongoing since my IUD was placed in December. So the 1st day I was told to take 4 pills then 2 them 2 then 1. The first day I took the four the next day I took 3 and then I developed gallstones which I never had. I m healthy but just had my 3 rd child he is 5 months. So yes I m a bit overweight but otherwise healthy so I went to a surgeon today for consult on gallbladder removal upon assessment the doc asked if I had thyroid issues and recommended I get an ultrasound in the near future. My question do you think the possible thyroid issue and the extra estrogen could have contributed to the stone formation and that I should correct those things riser before totally removing my gallbladder??
Fri, 30 Aug 2019

Your doctor is right. Thyroid issue and contraceptive pill both are predisposing factors for gall stone.

Thyroid problem can cause high cholesterol level and so the stone can develop.

Moreover, you are obese as well. Obesity is also one of the risk factors for gall stone.

So you need to correct all these factors by reducing weight and stop taking pills. If thyroid issue present than treatment needed for that according to reports.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Parth Goswami, General & Family Physician