Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
137 Doctors are Online

Difficulty in memorizing during exams, worried about academics and career. Help?

Dear Doc, I am a 34 years old healthy male. For the last few years, I am having difficulty in recalling things. Things are getting worse now a days. At present I am doing my post graduation in health management. While I appeared for my exams, I find it difficult to recall what I had studied. It seems like my brain has become like a bottom less pot unable to retain anything. This is putting a lot of pressure on me. Sometimes I feel as if I have forgotten whatever I ve learnt over the last decade. Earlier, I was working as a paramedic in the Indian Navy. I used to be a brilliant student during my student life i.e. before joining Navy and I d a sharp memory . I am very worried about my performance in this course and my career ahead. Please help. VJ
Asked On : Fri, 14 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  52
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
thank you for your query. first of all i would like to tell you that there is no cause for alarm at the moment. what you are describing happens to be a very common problem in individuals of your age group. It may be due to a number of causes, like an underlying depression, anxiety or adjustment disorder, which needs to be diagnosed and treated if present. also, significant life stress (particularly financial, social etc.) further compounds the problem. While in school, a person has very little responsibilities, and is mostly focused on his studies, thus giving attention and retaining study material information is easier. But coming to your age, obviously, you have a lot of other activities and engagements that needs to be taken care off, thereby, diverting your focus. However, once the underlying cause is identified, your problem can be managed more easily.
A detailed history, and mental status examination is required to reach a definitive conclusion about your problem. i would suggest you to visit a psychiatrist an give a detailed account of your routine and your problems.
hope i've been able to satisfy your query. please feel free to contact me for further needful. best of luck.
Answered: Sat, 7 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor