Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
196 Doctors are Online

Difficulty in eating small food particles, pieces enter nasal area, got struck, couldn't eat or swallow or blow out, no relief with neti pot. Solution?

I have often had problems where when I eat small food like ground beef, particles will go into my nose . I can usually cough or blow them back out again. Yesterday I was eating rice, and a piece of rice went up into my nasal area. I could not blow this rice out or cough it out or swallow it no matter how hard I tried. I looked online to see how I could get this rice out of my nasal cavity or where ever it is lodge and I read about neti pots. I bough a neti pot last night and used it twice and I still have this strange feeling in my nose and upper mouth area. I feel a strange ness when I swallow. I do not have great insurance so I really would like to try and deal with this at home instead of going to a doctor. I am not sure where this rice is inside me and why it did not come out with the use of the neti pot. The roof of my mouth and front of my throat feels strange when i swallow, and I can tell that something is unusual since that rice went into the wrong hole. Please if you have any advice for me that would be great.
Asked On : Sat, 11 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  202
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
Feb 2018
Hi. This is quite a common feeling among people to have a feeling of foreign body like you are feeling. Neti definitely would have removed the rice as the boiled rice can not be stuck and the nasal secretions are very viscid and slimy. If roof of your mouth and front of throat feels strange when you swallow indicates either in inflammatory process going on or a swelling which give this feeling to you. A simple test is - stand in front of a mirror in good light focused in throat- open the mouth fully and say Aa, Aa... If the back of the nose is completely closed by your palate, just do not worry. If there s a swelling or unequal appearance or anything which you feel is not normal , it is better to consult an ENT surgeon.
Answered: Wed, 1 Jan 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor