Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Diarrhea, blood in stool. Had bonefish. What can be done?

My husband 69 yrs old ate at Bonefish last night & was up all night with diarrea and has at least 5 bowl movements in past 12 hrs and notices bright red blood around the stool and when he wipes himself? Do I need to take him to the hospital.. he doesn t want to go.. or is there something he could take? Thanks, Suzanne
Asked On : Wed, 20 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  24
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, thanks for using HCM.
There are two main possibilities for his condition; it's either he has a food poisoning or he is allergic to some stuff in the food he ate.
Food poisoning is a common following dishes including fish, milk and usually affects a handful of individuals who ate the same food. However, though it could present with severe abdominal pains and bowel motion, it usually clears off within a few days on conservative management such as fluid replacement and pain killers
On the other hand, food allergy occurs mostly in people who are predispose or with known history of allergy and usually is due to particular food stuffs.
For now, you should increase his food and fluid in take, give him banana and carrots to harden his stool, and if he is not better within a few days, or if his bowel motions become so frequently or if he runs a temperature, you should consider taken him to see a doctor
Best regards and hope this helps.
Answered: Wed, 20 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor