Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
197 Doctors are Online

Delusional behavior, depression, keeps getting arrested, shop lifting tendency. Treatment for poor mental health?

Good Morning, I worried about my brother (age 63) who thinks he has invented something that will make him rich. The thing he says he invented makes no sense and I don t see how it can work. I m in XXX, he is is XXX, his friends think he is acting delusional. He has started to drink alcohol (he guit 30 yrs ago) and other things out of character. He keeps getting himself put in jail for shop lifting. AS SOON AS HE GETS OUT, IT S LIKE HE DOES THE SAME THING AGAIN TO BE PUT BACK IN JAIL! HE HAS NO HOME, (RENTS A ROOM SOMETIMES) BUT HE HAS HIS RETIREMENT CHECK. DO YOU THINK HE IS GETTING ARRESTED ON PURPOSE. HE HAS A LONG HISTORY OF DEPRESSION . HIS FRIENDS SAY HE IS NOT DEPRESSED, BUT ON A MANIC HIGH? WHAT DO YOU THINK IS GOING ON? THANK YOU, WORRIED SISTER
Asked On : Mon, 16 Jul 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  91
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Oct 2012
hi..there is a strong possibility of manic high if he has a long history of depression..but if he did not have any manic episode in the past, you must rule out any organicity by a brain-imaging as late onset bipolar mania is rare..also, it may be an alcohol-related mood problems..whatever it is, just consult a psychiatrist and report this problem..wish him good health..
Answered: Wed, 24 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Jayaprakashan KP's  Response
Your brother most probably having a psychotic illness. he need to get examined by a psychiatrist, to have an accurate diagnosis.
The practical problem here is not diagnosis of the condition, but getting him into regular treatment. If he is not willing to take treatment, he can be admitted to a hospital under appropriate section. This can be done in many countries if he is potentially dangerous to self or others.
Easier is to treat him next time he gets into jail. You as his sister can approach court and appeal that he is mentally ill and needs treatment. Court will get him examined by a psychiatrist and order treatment. By the time he is out he will be better and it will be easier to continue treatment. He may need follow up treatment for long periods.
Answered: Wed, 24 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Psychiatrist Dr. Jayaprakashan KP's  Response
Want to clarify a point:
"Admitting under appropriate section" means..
There is a provision for giving compulsory treatment for a person who is mentally ill in the law (Mental Health Act) of all countries. The process can be either by (i)approaching the court/ police by the interested party or (ii) by taking the person to a psychiatrist and psychiatrist admitting the person for compulsory treatment quoting the appropriate section of the Mental Health Act.
Answered: Thu, 25 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor