Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Cough with mucus, right ear blocked with fluid. History of Chron's disease. X-ray required?

I have had a cough with mucous and my right ear intermittently gets blocked with fluid, not able to hear well out of that ear at times. I have Crohn s disease and recieve remicade infusion every 5 weeks. I m concerned that what was initially an upper respiratory infection may have developed into something more. Should I have a chest xray? Possibly get an exam and begin abx?
Asked On : Fri, 5 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  75
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Thanks for query.
You are taking remicade infusion for crohn's disease which is a immunosuppressive drug which can cause pulmonary tuberculosis. It can reactivate tuberculosis. As your upper respiratory tract infection is not getting rid offf and you are taking an immunosuppressive drug so we have to exclude tuberculosis.
So get a x-ray chest (PA view) done along with a sputum examination for acid-fast bacilli smear for 2 days. Then you consult a pulmonologist and take his opinion.
Thank you.
Answered: Sun, 7 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor