Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

Congenital squint, cataract. Intraocular lens implanted, glaucoma developed. Surgery done, permanent blindness. Eye replacement possible?

I had a congenital squint that was never corrected. Later, it developed into a cataract and an Intraocular Lens was implanted. Later, the lens moved slightly out of position and Glaucoma developed. Despite laser treatment, there was no respite. Surgery was done, but the doctor removed the retina leaving me permanently blind. Is it possible to do an eye replacement?
Asked On : Wed, 9 May 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  155
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Hii Josemylackal,

It seems that u have had mutiple problems related to your eye, the last being ? Evisceration in which the internal working mechanism is removed. This is an extreme step that is generally taken only when no other treatment is viable.

Unfortunately there is nothing like a retinal transplantation that can be done. We can only improve your cosmesis by giving you artificial eye that can be custom made to match your other eye.

I would howerver implore you to take good care of the other eye (considering you have good vision in that eye). The glass is still half full and many people live a completely normal life with the same.

Hope that this helps.
Answered: Thu, 10 May 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor