• question-icon

What causes watery eyes and swelling in the eyes?

Posted on Wed, 9 Aug 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi,
My Dad had underwent cataract surgery of Right eye on 31ST MAY 2017 and of Left eye on 7 TH XXXXXXX 2017 from XXXXXXX using - XXXXXXX Multifocal IOL. After surgery, the right eye seems Ok but he has watery eyes and slight swelling along with cloudiness in his left eye. When consulted the treating doctor, she asked us to go for OCT tests. I am herewith attaching the report of OCT done for both eyes. Kinldy go through the report and suggest
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Posterior Capsule Opacity (PCO) is one common, yet fully treatable.

Detailed Answer:
Have seen reports.
The most common complication of cataract surgery is clouding of the part of the lens covering (capsule) that remains after surgery, called posterior capsule opacification.During cataract surgery, the surgeon carefully opens the front portion of the capsule to remove the natural lens and replace it with the intraocular lens. The capsule holds the intraocular lens and serves as a protective barrier for the back of the eye.Following cataract surgery, the capsule that holds the lens of the eye may develop cloudiness that causes blurred or hazy vision.

If the cloudiness affects his vision too much-
Laser surgery called Nd:YAG posterior capsulotomy is done to correct this problem.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist