Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Chronic knee pain. X-ray shows small joint effusion in both knees. Treatment for pain?

I have been getting knee pains over the past few years. It used to be that I only got them after skiing. Now I get them even when I haven t exercised in a while. So I had an X-ray done which showed that I have small joint effusion in both knees. At only 38 years of age, I am concerned for my kneeds. While exercising, I am very careful to not put too much pressure on them and wear knee braces. However, the pain seems to be getting worst and discouraging me from working out.
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  130
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
General & Family Physician 's  Response

Thanks for posting.

I think the cause of the joint effusion should be investigated first. Septic arthritis and gout could be responsible so some lab test should be done to exclude those. If no specific cause is found, then the pain should be managed as arthrosis. Pain management is multidisciplinary include physical therapy and use of pain killers (antiinflammatory/analgesia). Oral pain killers could be started and the dosage and class should be increased gradually till optimal dosages are reached. If pain not still managed despite physical therapy and pain killers. Other options like steroids orally or injected directly into the knee joints can be used. Counselling is very essential to also manage your psychological state as the pain; despite the fact that fluid was found in your knee joints, could still be aggravated by your psychological state.
Maintaining exercise is recommended in also managing the pain and stopping completely can also cause the pain to become worst.
Treating the underlying cause is also important. You can pay a visit to a rheumatologist.

Hope this helps
Answered: Mon, 28 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor