Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
168 Doctors are Online

Child born with tracheoesophageal fistula. Done tracheostomy. How to control secretion?

My son was born on 17th September 2011, in 7 months with h type Tracheoesophageal Fistula . He was oxgen depended from september 2011 to February 2012 becuase of his lungs have collapsed. Fistula operated and his breathing is also OK now. Tracheostomy was done on 2nd December 2011. When the feeding time continuous secreation coming from the tracho. continuous suction is also needed. Can you suggest any remedy for controll the secreation.
Asked On : Sun, 25 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  48
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Pediatrician 's  Response
hello there,
in these conditions the best thing would be regular suctioning of tracheostomy tube. but if it is really unmanageable then you can try some transdermal patch of scopolamine available only on doctor's prescription. you can ask your surgeon about this and if he thinks appropriate, you can get it advised.

another thing you can do is using a mucolytic agent like guaifenecin or ambroxol nebulization to thin down the secretions so that they can be taken out easily, but only after discussing with your doctor.

postural drainage and chest physiotherapy is the best way to keep the airway patent and this also helps in recruitment of collapsed lungs.

hope my advice helps you
Dr. Amit Kumar

Answered: Mon, 26 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor