Can muscle loss affect the results of a nerve conduction velocity test?

Can lack of muscle or some muscle wasting affect results of a nerve conduction test? Is it possible for someone to have severe and demyelinating results when the only symptom is slight tingling on side of left pinky? Is it possible for the upper extremity to have worse results when the lower extremity has worse symptoms? Can obesity affect results.
Sat, 18 Aug 2018
Hello and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

To all your questions , the answer is yes ,except for the last one. Muscle wasting can be caused by demyelinating disease even though the symptoms may not be that pronounced like slight tingling only. The symptoms of muscle wasting are generally weakness which is always more pronounced in lower limbs than upper limbs. Obesity generally does not affect the results.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.