Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

170 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Can median nerve injury be diagnosed ?

Hi I have a history of Median nerve injury in my right hand and i want to diagnos it and get it fixed.. I got the treatment done at AIIMS around 04 years back.I didnt do any physiotheapy after that however i can do almost everyhting with my right hand. It has a never ending sensation on my hand.I cant pick heavy weight,can hold a pen to write the way it should be held. I never got it diagnosed and now I want to know what kind of tests can I go for and whats the trwatment of this.It was a Trauma case.I got a cut from glass on my bisecps area due t which I got this injury. Please help AGE - 29 years Gender - Male
Wed, 11 Jan 2012
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,  
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
welcome to healthcaremagic
it will be best for you to go to your treating doctor in aiims with all your records and get yourself examined and take further treatment
you can get all your queries explained and get the treatment as the team doctor think best for you
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Rajendran T's  Response
Please note that diagnosing a problem is different from treating it. We still have a large number of conditions that can be diagnosed, but no treatment is known.

Having said that, I would like to know what profession u belong to and how severely ur disability prevents you from attaining ur goals. E.g. if u r a software engineer and u don't really need to lift heavy weights, u have to contend urself with ur disability.

Also, any amount of treatment will NOT restore ur hand to its Pre-injury state. Please remember, we may attempt to bring back the lost movements, but it is not always successful, and it always involves a trade-off.

In your case, u already have ur diagnosis (median nerve injury). Nerves do not regenerate beyond a certain point. There are no artificial substitutes either for these. I would suggest that if you are REALLY bothered by ur problem, u should consult a hand surgeon (in AIIMS, in Sir Gangaram or any place of your choice) and discuss ur problems. Try meeting other patients with similar problems and see how they cope with theirs. And if ur surgeon tells u something can be done, CHEERS!!
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

Two days ago I was diagnosed as having Flu and a Sinus infection. I struggled with the symptoms for about two weeks before even going to see the DR because it seemed to improve but then came back with a vengeance. My diaphragm is sore from coughing so much as well as a headache when I have a particular coughing spell. Now my wrists and forearm hurt profusely as well. Is it possible that I could have injured a nerve during this flu bout? I am no baby and generally have a high pain tolerance but this HURTS. What is going on?

doctor1 MD

i fell at work about a month ago and was diagnosed with a concussion, whiplash, head and scapula contusions, and this past weekend, I had an episode where the left side of my face became increasingly numb to an intense level and then it lessened. The next day, my colleagues at work said I had a slight L eye droop and L lip droop as well as L sided facial swelling. General neuro exam was normal ( checked by my fellow RN s for strength, pupil reaction, etc). I also have a small area on my face where there is a rash; L side of my face. Any ideas as to what could be going on? I was thinking possible facial nerve injury? Thank you. Rebecca

doctor1 MD

hi to all am dr.mohammed khidhir from iraq my relative (hassan ali shakir) 17 years old had shells injury in the left thigh & abdomen, lapratomy made to him at the same time after that he sufferd from left foot drop,EMG & MRI madse to him shows partial sciatic nerve injury, what your propable treatment?? thank

Recent questions on  Carpal tunnel syndrome

doctor1 MD

hi I had carpal tunnel surgery on my left hand August 20, 2012. They were also suppose to remove what they thought was a ganglion cyst on the palm side of my wrist. It was causing pain and was also a large lump on wrist. It truly looked like a ganglion cyst. During surgery they found out it was a vericose vein wrapped around and artery in my wrist that was causing the swelling and lump. They then closed it up and said they could not repair it because of how it was wrapped around the artery. I now have numbness in my thumb and below on the pad of my thumb. Is this normal? Can I put ice on the where the incision is to get rid of the numbness?

doctor1 MD

Sir, I am a carpal tunnel patient. in my right hand surgery had done in 2008,After this I am not OK, can t write easily can t lift heavy items etc, The same problem is on my left hand. Some time severe pain occur.Can u give me any suggestion to recoer from this. I don t like to do one more surgery.

doctor1 MD

I had Neck surgery June 2, 2014 due to pinching of C8 nerve bundle and ulnar nerve challenges on the right arm and hand. My right hand continues to be numb on the lift side of the palm, small finger, and half of the ring finger. Not too surprising as carpal tunnel developing is an issue. What is new is a tearing sensation on the upper back of my left shoulder. My right side feels stronger from shoulder to elbow. No nerve pain under right shoulder blade. Just concerned about left shoulder or just give it time? My next appointment with surgeon s PA is 6/23/2014.

doctor1 MD

right hand is weak. I drop things and its hard to grip onto things. I feel mild discomfort when using it. It shakes uncontrollably at times when doing certain things.

doctor1 MD

my mother is feeling strong tingle in her right hand

doctor1 MD

I thInk that I have a ganglion cyst on the back of my hand. I have numbness in some fingers and in a specific area along the lower part of my arm. Have difficulty writing. I was diagnosed with carpel tunnel syndrome , but have no pain and do not...