Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Can a medical history of hospitalization prevent me from losing weight ?

Hello Doctor, I was hospitalised twice within an year.I was supperring from Exanthematous Fever , Maculopapular rash ,burning in micturation,oralulcers and other time with Diarrheoa and severe gastroenteritis. Because of this I was on heavy antibiotic dosage. This was during the period of April 2010 to jan 2010 after which I have gained around 5-6 kgs.Currently i weigh 63 kg and i am 5ft 2 . I have started gyming since 2 months but the weight loss is not happening. I am on a strict diet and tak protein and vitamin supplements as well. I often experience cramps very soon while exercising. However, the gym instructor as well as I am confused why I am not loosing weight. Can you help on this. Whether my medical history is blocking my weight loss?
Asked On : Fri, 26 Aug 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hi there ~

I understand that you had been hospitalized many times during this past year and feel like this may be contributing to your weight gain. However this might not be a case and you might need a psychological assessment to see if you need counseling and medications from a psychiatrist for depression. Depression can make you gain or lose weight depending on the situation. There are two ways to lose weight:

1. Eat right - and healthy. Which might mean that you need to consult a nutritionist.
2. Exercise regularly - 4 times a week for 30-40 min per session and it should include both cardio and weights.

I hope you get yourself on the track to recovery and a healthy weight as soon as you can. I hope this helped.

Take care and have a lovely day!
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Mukesh Kumar's  Response

if your health is fine now then previous problems can not stop you from losing weight, diseases actually cause weight loss. your cramps may be due to over exercising or may be due excess loss of water and electrolytes from your body. if you are generally feeling k then i will give you some suggestion for exercise, also make a proper diet chart according to your likes and dislikes and follow it.

exercise tips

keep note of few things about exercise

1) exercise in the morning,drink enough water before you start arround 400-500ml, also after you finish.

2)always warm up before you start , do some stretching exercise for 5 -10 min

3)when you start your actual exercise first 10 min start slowly , then last ten min also you exercise slowly then stop. do not start or stop suddenly.

4) in case you are doing heavy weight keep in mind one thing , if your body is paining or your muscle is sore next day you over did it, it can do more harm than do benefit,so you have to reduce weight and intensity

5)do not eat a meal for half an hour after you exercise, and also do not exercise for 1- 1.5 hrs after exercise
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor