Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
138 Doctors are Online

Can Oral sub-mucous fibrosis be recovered by surgery ?

I have suffering from Oral sub-mucous fibrosis(LOCK JAW). can surgery is option to recover it ?
Asked On : Sun, 29 May 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  356
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dentist, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 's  Response
hi.oral submucous fibrosis can be treated by surgical excision of fibrotic bands, but the habit should be discontinued first.after excision of fibrotic bands reconstruction should be done by buccal fat pad or by nasolabial flaps.go to oral surgeon for ur problem.wish u good health
Answered: Fri, 29 Jun 2012
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
The treatment modalities available are Intralesional steroid injections, surgical removal of the fibrous bands, TMJ exercises and antioxidants. Consult an oral and maxillo-facial surgeon in your locality for your treatment.
Answered: Sun, 3 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Ramesh M.Vachharajani's  Response
As you have sub mucous fibrosis,I do not think any surgery is there.
Some times local injection of cortizone is given but its efficacy is doubtful.
But for gradual improvement of sub mucous fibrosis is there,do following things.
1,remove the cause like gutkha chewing,tobacoo chewing etc.
2,use gargles of feel fresh,or listerine liquid.
3,Do daily exercise of widely opening of your mouth and closing,10 mnt in the morning and in the evening.
Ok and bye.
Answered: Sun, 29 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor