Can Benadryl be taken for itchy red bumps on the arms and legs?

I have rather quickly started itching on arms and legs and my lips and face have become puffy/swollen... there are red bumps developing up and down my inner arms. I have taken 2 Benadryl thinking it may be some kind of allergic reaction but am not sure. This has happened once before (about a month ago). My hands are swelling making it difficult to type. Hoping the Benadryl can help. It seemed it started each time just before I went to bed. Last time this happened, it lasted for a day and a half. Wonder if a 3rd Benadryl would help even more? Itching is subsiding some but hands are still swollen as are lips. Starting to loose voice...throat swollen.
Thu, 21 Jun 2018
Dentist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service.
I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Your symptoms are clearly pointing towards allergic reaction but it looks like they have become severe and needs immediate medical assistance..
So taking benadryl alone is not enough with such severe symptoms, so my suggestion is to consult an Emergency room and get evaluated.
A clinical examination and a blood test can be done to rule out thee exact cause.
You can be advised steroid injection and oral and injectable anti allergics so that the symptoms get better fast.
Once the symptoms get better and the exact cause of allergy is ruled out you should try to avoid exposure to allergen.
You can be advised to keep Epipen with you so that if there are sudden severe symptoms then can be managed.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
Dr. Honey Arora