Are prolonged menstrual cycles a matter of concern?

I am a 45 year old woman with no children. I am not on the pill or any other medications. I eat well and go to the gym 2 times a week. I have noticed my periods have slowed over the last year. it is currently about 6 months between periods.Is this something I should be worried about?
Fri, 21 Sep 2018

Now you need not worry about it, it is the natural physiological activity. Women in the age group between (45-55 years) may experience prolonged periods or heavy periods due to hormonal imbalances as they are already in transition phase leading to menopause. You may experience hot flushes, palpitations, tiredness, vaginal dryness, anxiety, depression, forgetfulness, etc.

Symptoms vary in different patients, some may have mild symptoms, others may be required to get treated due to risk of developing cardiac disease, osteoporosis, anxiety or severe depression. Consult with a PCP, get regular check up done so that coping with menopausal symptoms may get easier. You may require medication, special diet chart, change to healthy lifestyle.

Hope I have answered your query.
Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr Nupur K