Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
134 Doctors are Online

Anger, severe irritation, abusive, mood swings. Taking medication for polio. Treatment options?

I need to consult psychiatrist for my brother My brother is 34 yrs old. He gets angry and becomes irritated on small small issues. He is working in a call centre. He had polio but after the polio has been treated he is become more short tempered kind of a person. he abuses when he is driving when someone overtakes him. we need some suggestion for his sudden mood change prob. He is very noble hearted person but when he gets angry he himself dont know how is is behaving with his elders but when he calms down he aplogise for his behaviour. He do not drink or smoke . Please advise?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  115
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Psychiatrist 's  Response
Jun 2013
Hello ~

It seems like your brother has an anger management problem and impulsively becomes angry at little things. However it also seems like these anger episodes are predictable, which makes it amenable to treatment. I suggest that your brother take anger management classes or complete a do it yourself book for anger management. It is helpful to consult a psychiatrist if you or your brother feels like this is not helping and medications may hold a key to the question of anger.

I hope this helps. Take care.
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Payman Hajiazim's  Response
Hi There, thanks for asking. It is a common issue in the polio that people find some short temper in their mood. Addressing their pain and/or fatigue if they have can manage this problem in a great deal. On the other hand, they may find a type of personality which tries hard to achieve the goals. The key issue is to help them to find some ways to cope with their new situation. It is good to ask them about their level of energy, concentration, mood and appetite to see if they have changed. Managing these issues can help them to cope faster with their situation. I wish your brother a good health and success in his career.
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Psychiatrist Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar's  Response
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

A sudden change in mood or behaviour, characterized by irritability, increased anger, aggression, etc. can be due to a few possibilities like:
1) Mood disorder, like depression
2) Prodrome of a psychotic disorder
3) Organic personality change (due to a brain / neurological problem)
4) Severe stress

He needs a detailed psychological assessment by a psychiatrist in order to arrive at a diagnosis. So, please take him to a psychiatrist for a detailed evaluation and further treatment.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist
Answered: Wed, 6 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor