• question-icon

Suggest treatment for anxiety and depression leading to self harm

Posted on Tue, 18 Jun 2019 in Mental Health
Question: Hi My 24 year old son lives in XXXXXXX he has anxiety to the point where he is depressed and hits himself and bites himself.....I dont know when this started but he needs help!! I live in RI. What is the diagnosis?
I am so worried please help!
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Severe depression could increase suicidal behavior

Detailed Answer:

A lot of individuals have anxiety with co-morbid depression. Hitting oneself could be self injurious behavior due to severe depression. Such individuals are at risk of suicide too and he should be shown immediately to a psychiatrist. Biting oneself can't be explained by depression but that might be due to impulsivity. Do you have his history of symptoms like how these symptoms appeared, progressed? What are his main symptoms apart from these symptoms? This can help in making a diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Thanks and take care.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Psychiatrist
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 15 minutes later
He was always a happy but sensitive child. His father has an anger impulse disorderAnd depression. As a very intelligent child he came home one day and said he thought he had OCD, washing hands, going down and out the stairs before he went out the door (13yrs.old) Because he was learning about it I thought he was just pretending to see if he had it. I divorced when he was 10. His father was verbally abusive with a bad temper. The anger started coming out with my son at aprox. 17yrs.old. The has a degree in Criminal Justice and moved to XXXXXXX with a job day after graduation...in Sales for a high Tech ICloud storage company...he has no confidence with women, been hurt and this seems to have elevated. Recently he told me he has thoughts of hurting himself and this morning tells me he bites and hits himself! He is easily agitated and I cant talk to him without he getting angry.
Please Help!
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
These behaviors could be due to some anxiety disorder.

Detailed Answer:

Well based on the information you provided, it is difficult to make a clear diagnosis but to some extent the symptoms are pointing towards OCD along with anxiety. You mentioned that at age of 13, he showed some OCD like symptoms like washing hands, following a particular pattern like going down and out the stairs before he used to go out. He might had some intrusive ideas at that time which resulted in compulsive behavior. He has low confidence with women and this is also a symptom of anxiety.

He mentioned that he has thoughts of hitting himself. This could be a compulsive behavior out of some intrusive unwanted thought and this should be evaluated. He is doing his job normally and is a graduate so the possibility of some psychotic disorder is very unlikely. Agitation though not very common in OCD, but yes a lot of patients show agitation or anger outbursts when they fail to complete their compulsive behaviors.

He needs evaluation by a psychiatrist. Remain relaxed, with treatment most of individuals come out of symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi
Psychiatrist
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist