Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
170 Doctors are Online

Adenoids in children

My son is 2.5 years old. i took him to an ENT specialist as he is suffering from allergy. when i mentioned that my kid was snoring, the doctor advised an X-ray for investigation on adenoids. The report read moderate adenoid hypertrophy with mild indentation on naso-pharyngeal column . however my kid never suffered any sinus infections.But his nose is wet and has very thin mucous discharge which is clear.he has little wheezing. And nowadays he is not snoring but very rarely he keeps his mouth open. He sleeps for about 10-11 hrs in a day. Is it true that if the child doesn t snore and doesn t breathe with mouth then it means that there is not much problem with his adenoids?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Jan 2010
Answers:  1 Views:  2204
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  User's Response

Children are born with adenoids which are quite small. As a child grows, so do

the adenoids, reaching their maximum size when the child is 10 to 12 years old.

From that point on, the adenoid tissue starts to shrink on its own.i think ur kid is

suffernig from  allergic rhiniitis(runnning nose due to allergy) along wiith

adenoidal hypertrophy. Studies say that allergic rhinitis and adenoidal

hypertrophy had greater frequency of lower respiratory trract infection,sleep

disorders, and   Otitismedia(ear infection) occurred more frequently in

younger-aged children and sinusitismore frequentlly in children between the

ages of 4 to 12.The only treatment forenlarged obstructing adenoids is to



decision to remove the adenoids must come from weighing the benefits of

waiting for the adenoids to shrink on their own against the degree of

disruption to a child's life and health.

Answered: Tue, 5 Jan 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor