Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Abscess on finger, painful, fever, abdominal pain, malaise, diarrhea, cold sweats

My husband is a chef at a seafood restuarant and recently had to go the ER for an abcess on his little finger . It started as a pimple , the next day it had stayed the same size but had a tiny black head on it and by the middle of the day he was sent home it looked like half of his little finger was a giant pus pocket and the pain shot up to his arm and chest. It was lanced and some of the flesh was removed. He was given a series of antibiotics which he totally consumed. Saturday 10/20/12 he was at work, fell on his back due to wet stairs and scraped his back in several places. He had a sever amount of pain but said he was fine. He had a catering gig that same day and worked 21 hours straight. Needless to say he was beyond exhaustion. The following day 10/21/12, he had a fever of 102 which he still has to this day off and on, abdominal pain , malaise , diarehhea, cold nigh sweats, fatigue. He is still ill but has to go to work today.
Asked On : Sat, 27 Oct 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  61
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Dermatologist 's  Response
Hi , 

Thanks for the query. 

I completely understand your concern and I hope I am able to help you for the same. 
Looks like you have developed cellulitis over the hand. 
We can try conservative treatment first but if the condition continues to worsen , then you might need to consult a physician. 
Avoid touching it too much. 
Avoid using any kind of cold dreams or hair oils, as it might increase the lesion .
You can start using any topical antibiotic/antiseptic cream(like mupirocin cream) over the lesion for 2-3 days .
Take some pain killers along for relieving the associated pain and discomfort. 
Keep hand elevated esp at night in order to prevent any swelling. 
Oral antibiotics are required if the cellulitis increases, which a dermatologist / physician can examine and suggest .

Take care, 

Wishing you speedy recovery, 

Dr Geetika Paul 

MD ( Dermatology)
Answered: Fri, 22 Nov 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor