Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

81 years old, had stroke. Not taking food and medicine. What can be done?

My mum is 81, just had a stroke (with bleed , if that helps) and since she was put into a nursing home about 10 weeks ago has lost 12 kilos in weight, is refusing food and is only taking small sips of fluid and only if someone persists. I am so worried about her. We ve discovered she is now not taking her heart , choloestrol and anti psychotic medication (it has been found in her room obviously been spat out). How long can this go on. She is under 6st now.
Asked On : Wed, 1 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  31
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
i can advice her PERCUTANEOUS ENDOSCOPIC GASTROSTOMY.And you need to appoint a nurse for her to take care of her and if peg is inserted the feeds will be in certain time intervals so hat her nutrition will be good as you can give semisolid diet too from PEG.And medicines also can be administered through peg so your problem will be solved but you must take care of that tube as she is a psychotic patient she may pull the tube.If you are sure that she wont i will advice you that.Thank you.
Answered: Wed, 19 Jun 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor