Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

63 year old having throbbing pain in the chest. Could it be due to a heart murmur or muscular pain?

Hi Iam a woman of 63 I seen my normal doctor the other day due to the fact for the past 12/18 months I have been getting a throbbing pain in the centre of my chest , he told me it was muscle related, but then my doc, was on holidays so I seen a different doctor, and she told me I might be a small murmur, tell me who is right And please don t say they my be both right ,could it be in fact a muscle
Asked On : Fri, 2 Nov 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  37
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi friend
Welcome to Health Care Magic

The second doctor says 'might be'. So it is not certain!

At this age, chest pain should not be diagnosed by examination alone. An ECG (Electrocardiogram) is a must. If it is recent , cardiac markers are done. If the ECG is normal, TMT (Exercise ECG) should be done.

There are few murmurs, that can be transient. An ECHOcardiogram can clarify - It can show the valves, wall, pumping efficiency and so on / the 'murmur' can be confirmed or excluded by Doppler study

The description of your pain does not suggest heart. All the same it is wiser to be investigated, Better be safe than sorry.

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Fri, 2 Nov 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor