Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

4 year old having reddish swollen ear lobes after ear piercing. Need medical attention?

My 4 year old daughter has had her ears pierced for almost 4 months. We changed her earrings when we were supposed to and everything has been fine. She has had this particular pair in for about 2 weeks now. One of her ears is red and swollen. I took it out and it bled some. She doesnt want to have to get it re-pierced. Should I doctor it and put the original earring back in and then continue to watch or should I not put the earring in?
Asked On : Mon, 6 Aug 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  106
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Thanks for your query.
Your child is having infection at pierced site ,you should not put any earings right now.
Get her examined by doctor as she needs oral and topical the meantime give her acetaminophen for pain relief .
Wishing your child good health.
God bless.
Answered: Wed, 6 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
It seems there a local bacterial infection developed causing local cellulitis.
Usually it happens after ear piercing and after the changing the ear rings.
Oral antibiotic like cephalexin or cefadroxil along with local application of antibacterial cream like mupirocin will treat the condition.
So consult your Pediatrician for advise and medical management.
Hope I have answered your query.
Answered: Tue, 5 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor