• question-icon

Suggest treatment for rashes and infection after a double mastectomy

Posted on Thu, 10 Aug 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I have recently had a double mastectomy and reconstruction w tissue expanders. I have had two infections and a drug rash a couple of weeks ago possibly due to the antibiotic Bactrim. I am on cefadroxil now for the second infection. Suddenly I have 4 red circles on my left breast and 1 on my right breast. The circles are dime or nickel sized. I haven't been feeling well all week. Pain in chest and burning sensation in skin all over. Can anyone help me ? I see the plastic surgeon again tomorrow but I'm worried. My surgery was 8 weeks ago. Thx
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possible allergic reaction

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern. Rashes and infections are relatively common after mastectomy and breast reconstruction. This sounds like an allergic reaction, possibly from the tissue expander. The body is still adjusting to the the new introduction and changes it has undergone.

Active infection needs to be ruled out first in order to diagnose an allergic reaction from the tissue expander.

You can take Benadryl in the mean time, while waiting to see the surgeon.

I hope this helps. If you have further questions I'd be happy to help.

Wishing you good health and all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ornela Ademovi