Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
193 Doctors are Online

21 year old with high SGPT and SGOT levels. Does this affect the liver? Need to stop drinking?

hello,i ve diagnosed with SGPT( ALT ) 97 and SGOT(AST) 251,am a 21 year old male about 75kg,my doctor said that is really high and need to stop drinking,i believe i dont drink too much,i asked for second opinion and the other doctor told me that SGPT and SGOT doesnt effect the liver so its okay.what is your opinion on this? thank you in advance
Asked On : Wed, 12 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  187
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
General Surgeon 's  Response
Apr 2013
Dear Sir, SGP and SGOT are liver enzymes and it is not usual to call it a "diagnosis". Simply said, these enzymes are elevated when you have liver damage of any kind. So its elevation is a consequence of some liver disorder which you need ti find out. At your age the most common cause is alchohol drinking and viral hepatitis, but also some autoimmune and congential disorders should be ruled out. You should do liver ultrasound and biopsy to evaluate the degree of liver damage and depending on it you can plan further diagnostic tests and therapy. And of course,stop drinking...If you believe you dont drink too much it doesnt mean it. If your enzymes stabilize when you stop drinking then everything is clear.

Wish you good health, Dr. Ivan Romich
Answered: Wed, 12 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor