Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

1 year old had pyloric stenosis surgery after birth. Have frequent vomiting. Biopsy showing moderate reflux esophagus.

My son is now 1 year old, he had a pyloric stenosis surgery when he was 5 weeks old. After the surgery he continued to vomit for a further 3 months. He then took chicken pox and started to vomit he then started to vomit blood that looked like coffee granules. He was started on a course of omneprazle twice daily for 2 months he then started to vomit blood straight away and was sent for an endoscopy which biopsies showed moderate reflux esophagus . He has been on the medication for a further 6 weeks and still taking it he has just vomited for 30 minutes which I can only describe as black tar like substance last night. He has slept most of the day and kept all his food down so far today. Any advice would be welcome.
Asked On : Mon, 28 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hi ,
Thank you for your query.
Vomiting blood is of concern.
A moderate reflux will not cause vomiting with tar like material( altered blood).
Medications for 2 months should improve his condition.
These can be signs of portal hypertension.
Kindly discuss with your GP to exclude other causes of gastric bleeds.
If you have any further queries you are free to consult me.Hope this answers your query.Wishing your child a speedy recovery.Have a nice day.
Answered: Tue, 29 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013
Thank you for your query,
Your child is having Gastroesophagial reflux disease with Reflux esophagitis.
You have to continue antireflux medication like omeprazole or lansoprazole, prokinetic drugs like domperidone or metoclopramide and gastric mucosa protectants like oral sucralfate.
Give small energy dense frequent feeds.
So consult your Pediatrician or Pediatric gastroenterologist for further management.
Hope i have answered your query.
Answered: Tue, 29 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor