what would cause pain on the outside after urinating. I

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Sun, 6 Jan 2019 in Women's Health
Question: what would cause pain on the outside after urinating. I went to the gynocologist and she said everything looked fine. she tested me for a uti and sti's and it all came back negative. she said there was a trace of blood in my urine and WBC, but no infection. the pain seems to ease up some days, but some days when I wipe it hurts and will hurt for a little bit after. not like the bladder, but the vulva area. I am currently using monistat because I thought it may have been a yeast infection.
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Vulvodynia -cause and management

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to 'Ask A Doctor' service.
And thank you for trusting us with your health concern

I have gone through your query in detail. I understand that you are experiencing pain only in the vulvar area, called vulvodynia.

Since you have undergone evaluation by your doctor, I assume that infections, skin pathology like lichen sclerosis have already been ruled out.

Now the other possibility that needs to be considered is contact dermatitis, especially since your symptoms are intermittent in nature. The inflammation associated with contact dermatitis can explain the presence of blood and WBC in the urine also.

Contact dermatitis occurs due to an allergic reaction to any products that come in contact with the skin. This may include soap, detergent, fabric, deodorized tampons/pads etc.

-Please keep a note on any products that you use that triggers the symptoms. Avoid any products that contain added scents.

-Also, use only mild soap and water to clean the area.
-Pat dry and wipe from front to back.
-Be gentle while cleaning and drying the area to avoid friction.
-Wear loose cotton breathable underwear.
-Use anti-scented laundry detergent.
-If itching is present, use anti-itch creams like Cortizone-10 (available over the counter).

Hope this answers your question.
Please let me know if you need further clarification.

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee