my XXXXXXX 4 years old is having cough along with
Acetaminophen (Paracetamol) with cough medication will help
Thanks for asking on this platform...
The most common cause of a cough with fever in this age is some viral infection.
I would like to know:
For how long symptoms are there?
Is any family member suffering from the same illness?
Is there associated breathing difficulty or bouts of the cough is associated with vomiting?
I won't get worried if symptoms are not severe, are of less than 72 hours, not associated with breathing difficulty and if the child is otherwise active.
Giving Paracetamol 10 mg/kg/dose three to four times a day depending on the frequency of fever will help.
You may give cough syrup containing Levosalbutamol a bronchodilator (prevents airway spasm and thus helps in relieving cough) with mucolytic like Ambroxol which helps in thinning/expulsion of sputum.
If fever is persisting in spite of giving medicine, cough worsens or there is associated with breathing difficulty, please consult your Paediatrician.
I hope this helps.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What are the symptoms of poisoning in a child?
- Suggest treatment for severe cough and fever in a child
- What causes cough, fasciculation, nasal congestion and fever?
- Can an infant be fed with castor oil to cure colic?
- What causes painful red blisters on tonsils?
- Suggest remedy for neck swelling in a child
- Suggest remedy for constipation in children
- Suggest remedy for persistent dry cough and cold in a child
- Suggest remedy for severe fever and cough in a child
- Suggest remedy for headache, dizziness and vomiting