hello doctor! I want to ask something about my 4

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 31 Jan 2019 in Child Health
Question: hello doctor! I want to ask something about my 4 year girl. From 5 days she has cough which has been aumentit during the last day. she had high fever at about 39 centigrade. Yesterday I started giving her augmentin buy still had so much cough so I went to the doctor and made a film and the doctor told me she is very ill so should stay at the hospital and give another antibiotic. Please can you give me an advice? I am attaching the film as well as some medicines to make with the aerosol. Please can you tell me which medicine can I use? Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Watch the activity level of the child

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using the Ask a Doctor service.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. If your child is otherwise active and playful, I would not be concerned. If not, it would be a good idea to visit a doctor and to get the child evaluated. If the respiratory rate is greater than or equal to 40 breaths/min you would need to take her to a doctor for the possibility of underlying pneumonia. If the rate is lesser, you need not worry. I have checked the X-ray but the details are unclear. It is hard to comment without listening to the chest. Since she is already on Augmentin (antibiotic) you need not worry.

Feel free to give both Aircort and prontial (images provided). Give Inasal if there is a nasal block. You need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion and thereby the cough. Just sit with the child on your lap and place the source of steam before you. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief.

Feel free to write back.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 11 hours later
thank you doctor for the response. Today it seems that she has more cough today..It is more frequent. she is active more than before. You think I should continue with this antibiotic? For how many days? Thank you again
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Steam inhalation should help

Detailed Answer:

Since you have started the antibiotic, please complete the course of 5 days.

Giving steam inhalation should help (for cough.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 days later
hello doctor. I hope everything is going fine. I want To tell that the doctor told me to hospitalize dhe child so since yesterday I am at the hospital because she had fever again. They made all the analysis that I am attaching and told she should stay till Monday, 4 more days. They are giving her rocefine. In fact I want to get out from the hospital cause she seems to feel better but the doctors say that she needs to take it intravenous. Should I stay at the hospital? They told me that the pneumonia is caused by Mycoplasma. is it dangerous. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
Follow the instructions of your treating physician

Detailed Answer:
If they are suspecting Mycoplasma pneumonia it is indeed a serious one. However, treatment with antibiotics (often intravenous) should clear the infection. Please discuss with your treating physician.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T