question-icon

do all GCL1 drugs take about 4 weeks before they can have any therapeutic value?

Posted on 2 days ago
Question: My Dr wants to start me on ozempic/semaglutide. I know this is a GCL1 medicine. Instructions for ozempic says to use a small dose 4 weeks and then increase the dosage.
The literature says that for the first four week period the Ozempic will not have any therapeutic value and I am wondering why reduce prandin when ozempic does not have any therapeutic value for 4 weeks. Ozempic is brand new -first q 2018. Are there other GCL1 drugs like Ozempic that work the same way and have been on the market for a while? ALSO, do all the GCL1 DRUGS take about 4 weeks before they can have a therapeutic value? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (27 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
About GLP1 agonists;

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking!
I have gone carefully through your concern.

Yes, Ozempic starting dose ( 0.25 mcg) does not have a therapeutic effect and the previous treatment should be continued during this period.

GLP1 agonists contain some preparations now and the sliding scale is faster ( increasing the dose every weak) with previous FDA approved GLP1.

However, the full dose is always more efficient, it means that each GLP1 needs 2-4 weeks to start therapeutic effect.

If you hesitate to start Ozempic, you may try Victoza or lyxumia but they need a daily injection.

Hope the information will help.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (33 minutes later)
OZEMPIC is brand new. So I am somewhat concerned and plan to ask the Doctor about Victoza. If a person does start on OZempic , I understand I should not stop taking my Prandin riight away, but how does anyone know when to stop the prandin???? Also, is Victoza as effective as Ozempic? Ozempic seems to be a miracle drug of sorts-marty
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (22 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
About GLP1 agonists :

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,

We usually recommend to stop Prandin about 1 month later ( after starting Ozempic), any way you will be checking the blood sugar continuously and if it persists high, you may not stop it for some other days.

Yes, Ozempic in clinical trials has resulted more efficient than other GLP1 in lowering the HbA1c and causes about 5-7% weight loss in a year but I think that it needs to be seen in practice.
Victoza and lyxumia are once daily injections, meanwhile, Trulicity and Bydureon are once weakly like Ozempic.

Please discuss with your physician about them.

Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjets

Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (50 minutes later)
Do all the drugs you mentioned work XXXXXXX ozempic, that is there is not any effect for a while. Why does a person need to start with a small dose so the body can get used to it. What happens if a person starts wiith the full dose before the body gets used to the medicine
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (12 hours later)
Brief Answer:
About GLP1 agonists;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
It is recommended to start with low dose because of the side effects ( nauzea and vomiting) that can cause the full dose. It is seen that the side effects are very expressed when it is started with full dose.
Yes, all GLP1 agonists needs at least 2 weaks to start its activity.
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (5 hours later)
Dr. This information is very valuable to me. Thank you very much. I have related question......Should a General Internist who also treats my Diabetes be aware that the GCL1 takes a while before there is a therapeutic effect from the GCL1 or should I expect that only an Endocrinologist would know this? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (8 hours later)
Brief Answer:
About GLP1 agonists;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
It depends on the experience of the internist. In many countries is the endocrinologist/ diabetologist who starts GLP1 agonists and of course he is aware of the side effects and the therapeutic effects.
But, if a GP has a great experience and deals with Diabetes, he can also give these informations.
To be sincerey, in most of the countries, only specialists know in such details the preparations.
Wish you good health,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (14 hours later)
Thank you. After our dialog, I requested to use a gcl1 that has been on the market for a while and was given Victoza. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (25 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It'll be a pleasure to help you in the future!

Detailed Answer:

Wishing you good health!

Dr.Mirjeta

Follow up: Dr. Mirjeta Guni (4 hours later)
I will be starting TRULANCE to help constipation. How long does it take once I start taking the med every morning before It will start helping me XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mirjeta Guni (22 hours later)
Brief Answer:
About Trulance;

Detailed Answer:
Hi again,
Trulance is a medication that increases the fluid content in the bowel improving the constipation.
The effect is seen within the first 24 hours during the first days of treatment, diarrhea can occur.
Be sure that you jave taken 3 mg with 30 ml of wateelr.
Best wishes,
Dr.Mirjeta
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Mirjeta Guni

Endocrinologist