Owl Image

X-ray showed hair fracture on ankle. Can I use ice on it to reduce the swelling?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I sprain my left ankle 5 days ago , can I still ice it to reduce the swelling . The x-ray shows a hair fracture , I'm schedule to see an orthopedic sometime next week. With the holiday this week, I need some professional advice.
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
After a sudden cramp on the foot, appearance of pain, swelling with skin color changes, tenderness, etc are all indicative of hematoma formation either due to a fracture.
Since you have a hairline fracture, a cast application will be best to reduce pain and for an early recovery. Till the time you see your orthopedician-
1. Do a cold compress on the area of injury.
2. Avoid weight bearing on the foot.
3. Keep the foot elevated on two pillows while resting.
4. Get some mild pain killers prescribed from your doctor.
You can also use an elastic ankle brace or a crepe bandage around the area of injury for relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: X-ray showed hair fracture on ankle. Can I use ice on it to reduce the swelling? 12 hours later
Thank u Dr. Tayal for the quick response. How many times a day and for how many minutes should I put a cold compress until I see the orthopaedic doctor next week. I've been doing the rest of your recommendations. Thank U again!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can ice the area for around ten minutes thrice daily.
Be careful not to apply ice directly on to the skin. You can use an ice pack or wrap the cubes in a towel.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.