question-icon

Will other health issues arise if pilonidal cyst remains untreated?

Posted on Mon, 17 Mar 2014
Question: hi, after a bit of googling i think my girlfriend has a Pilonidal Cyst, which is located at the base of her tail bone. I think i understand what causes them and i have read some people have then drained or have them removed. My question tho is, will any other health issues rise if she leaves it untreated? how important is it to have it treated assuming she can live with the pain, will it disappear in time? thanks
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko (32 minutes later)
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello! Thank you for the query. Pylonidal cyst is always a source of infection which human body tries to eliminate. This causes immune system immobilization and sooner or later results with pus accumulation. The pus always seeks for a place to get evacuated. We can compare it to the river which always finds a place to pass any obstacle. In some cases the pus can find such place in the rectum. This can cause rectal fistula. This is the most serious complication of pilonidal cyst which happens rather rarely. Generally leaving pilonidal cyst without treatment it is not a good idea. Abscess formation (pus accumulation) can also lead to whole body infection. Pilonidal cyst can not disappear by itself. It needs to be removed. Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions. Regards.
Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon