Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online

Why is my child having burning and redness near vaginal opening?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 1444 Questions
My 3 year old daughter is complaining of a burning in her vagina. When we checked, it was red near the vaginal opening and there is a small, thin strip of flesh covering the opening. Should we be concerned? Is that the hymen? Otherwise, everything looks normal...
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 21 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax. Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing to us. I understand your concern. There is nothing to worry,it is sometimes seen in female child. I suggest you to: -give sitz bath that is make her sit in tub of lukewarm water for 5 to 10 mimites 2times a day. -avoid bubble bath. -apply some emollient over affected area. -maintain proper hygiene.,always clean area from before backwards. -give plenty of fluids and avoid all kind of junk food. In case symptoms persist get her evaluated by pediatrician. Hope I have answered your query. Wishing your child good health. God bless..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Why is my child having burning and redness near vaginal opening? 32 minutes later
Thank you so much for your fast response! Is the strip of flesh a concern, or is it also normal? Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: thanks for your follow up. Detailed Answer: Relax, There is nothing to worry. This is normal hymen. Hope this helps. Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor