Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
188 Doctors are Online

Why does my son get pain in his leg starting in his upper thigh when he walks?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
my 19 year old son has been complaining of leg pain especially while working on feet all day. He says his leg becomes hot and painful to walk on. The pain starts in his upper thigh /groin area. He is 6 ft tall 140 lbs and in generally good health. He does have a slight heart murmer that was diagnosed during a sports medicine check up.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 54 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

For the leg pain that develops after standing all day, venous insufficiency needs to be ruled out.

Secondly leg pain that show up during physical activity, such as walking, are usually a sign of arterial insufficiency (peripheral artery disease). That means the arteries aren't able to supply the calf muscles with enough blood and oxygen to XXXXXXX their needs.

The pain from PAD is brought on by exercise, and relieved by rest. The limping that occurs from the leg pain is called claudication.

I strongly advise you an evaluation by a physician for your son. Intermittent claudication is a relatively benign and manageable condition, but people with more advanced arterial insufficiency can experience rest pain also.

Moreover it has to be differentiated from other causes of such symptoms like low amounts of potassium, sodium, calcium,iron or magnesium in the blood, muscle fatigue or strain from overuse, tendonitis, nerve damage, Benign tumors or cysts of the femur or tibia and Osgood-Schlatter disease.

He needs certain investigations like MRI scan, colour Doppler of the vessels of the legs and an ultrasound legs.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor