Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Why am I experiencing excruciating pain while lifting my right arm?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1986
Answered : 290 Questions
I fell down a few days ago when a large dog I was walking ran away, jerking me so hard and violently I thought my arm would be pulled out of the socket. I fell flat on the asphalt, face down, and aside from cuts and bruises up and down my right side, I lay there until I could get up and and limp home. At first, I was only sore and cut and shook up, but I started having pain in my breast, my rib cage underneath, and the tendons in my neck and my upper arm. Every day since then, it has gotten worse. I can't lift my right arm without excruciating pain, my breast feels bruised inside and I can't lift anything without excruciating pain. Even when I turn over in bed, it hurts terribly to move or stretch my upper arm and neck and ribs underneath. Since it didn't hurt that much at first, I didn't do anything. But it is getting worse by the day and not sure what to do. Nothing feels broken, so should I just give it time to heal on it's own?
Posted Wed, 25 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Haseena Hamdani 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Better to consult a Doctor Detailed Answer: Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX It is possible that you might not be having anything serious like fracture or dislocation, and the painful movement and difficult movement could be due to sudden forceful jerk, abnormal stretching of arm, and falling over the ground. But I would still highly recommend you to consult your Doctor, who may send you for Xray of Shoulder joint, and Ribs. You said that your pain is getting worse, and You are a post menopausal woman, and had Osteoporosis. You are at high risk to get fractures. Your Doctor must examine your breast also, as trauma can cause haematoma in soft tissues of breast, and we have to address this issue also. You may need to take anti inflammatory and analgesic medicines, rest to the part, elevation of affected part, and cold compress. As you are taking medications for hypertension, osteoporosis and thyroid disease, your Doctor can suggest you the best painkiller, without interacting or affecting other medicines effects, and best timings for your medicines, even when fracture or dislocation get ruled out. Hope this information will be useful for you. Wish you speedy recovery. Dr H Hamdani
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor