When to begin antiretroviral therapy in patients with HIV?

Dr. Sunil Jangid

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hi my brother has hiv positive from last two month.a Dr told him to come in November or December.pls guide me is that possible to get a treatment early.
Thanks

Hi my question is that when is the possible time to start treatment.after 3 months or 6 month
Answered by Dr. Sunil Jangid 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It depends on CD4 count.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Welcome to HCM.

The treatment for HIV depends on clinical stage of the infection and CD4 count of patient. If CD4 count is more than 500 then we can wait for six months to repeat the count for further management. When count falls below 350 then we have to start anti retro-viral treatment immediately.

If you have done any reports then send me so that I can comment further about the condition and when to start treatment. For any further query feel free to ask me any time and I am always here to help you out.

Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar