When is Chiari malformation diagnosis ascertained after cerebellar tonsils extension?
Sorry. I forgot to mention a couple things that may contribute- I have frequent issues with various parts of my body going numb. Some things stay numb like my fingers and parts of my feet. Others come and go like the outside of my face, arms, parts of my legs and back. Somethings are just reduced. I also have IBS-D.
Six millimeters or more.
Hello and thanks for using HealthcareMagic.
I have read your question and understand your concerns.
Extension down into foramen magnum of cerebellar tonsils 3-6 mm is considered as an intermediate condition between Chiari 1 malformation and normality, clinical correlation is necessary.
Six or more millimeters extension is considered as Chiari 1 malformation.
I think a good part of your symptoms are related to this displacement of cerebellar tonsils compressing brainstem and spinal cord.
A cervical spine MRI is also necessary to evaluate the possibility of associated syringomyelia.
If there is 6 mm displacement of cerebellar tonsils and Chiari 1 malformation is found as responsible for your symptoms, surgical decompression of the posterior fossa is necessary.
You need to see a Neurosurgeon about this issue.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Let me know if I could assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Chiari malformation with 8mm. herniated tonsils
- Diagnosis of Arnold chiari malformation
- Diagnosis of Arnold–chiari malformation
- Pregnancy and chiari malformation
- Marijuana and chiari malformation after surgery
- Indigestion after chiari malformation surgery
- Is hitting head bad after a chiari malformation surgery
- Diagnosis of Chiari malformation
- Chiari malformation and tachycardia after eating
- After chiari malformation surgery
- What causes tingling and pins and needle sensation on the left side of...
- What causes numbness in feet and ankles?
- What causes mouth spots and pit in forehead?
- What causes tingling feeling in shoulder?
- Suggest treatment for panic attacks, non functional rectum and memory loss
- What causes numbness in the right side of foot and leg?
- What causes burning sensation and tingling in hands and feet?
- What does my CT scan suggest?
- What causes shortness of breath in a patient with fibromyalgia?
- What causes severe muscle twitches at night in shoulders and arms?