What treatment should be followed for a non painful lump on breast?

General Surgeon
Question
I am a 65 year old female. I had my physical yesterday and the doctor found a lump near my nipple. It is a XXXXXXX non painful lump. She said she is not too concerned and I go for a mammogram in a couple of weeks. After my appointment, I remembered that I forgot to mention that my nipple on the same breast has been itching for about a year. It doesn't itch everyday or even every week but has been occurring for the past year. The itching plus the lump has me very concerned. Should I worry?
Posted Wed, 27 Aug 2014 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Deepika Patil 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
see below answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mam,

Welcome to HealthcareMagic .

Since your doctor has examined I don't feel anything is there to worry. As such itching doesn't have any much diagnostic importance. Generally if nipple is dry it will itch so apply moisturiser.

If such a patient comes to me I usually advice Needle biopsy of the lump because at your age cancer should be ruled out . In mammography only features of cancer seen but needle biopsy gives type of cancer and more details .

I assume your doctor planning needle biopsy after mammography report. You may discuss this with them.

Hope I have answered your query . If any further queries are there I would love to help.

Dr.Deepika Patil