Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
191 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

What treatment do you suggest for soft bleeding gums ?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
Hi, I have always had soft gums and had them trimmed back at age 35 due to bleeding. I am 60 now and they are a real concern. They are very soft and I have lost a couple of teeth. They bleed. I see my dentist twice a year and he says there is nothing I can do. I seem to be just waiting for them to fall out. I brush twice a day and use a mouthwash and have always been careful with them. I also floss. I think my blood pressure meds (on them for 20 years have not helped as it is a side effect). I am female with an extremely healthy diet. I tried Corsodyl which instantly put a stain on a bonded front tooth, so I stopped it. I feel helpless just waiting for my teeth to fall out; is there nothing at all I can do to harden them up a little, maybe salt water rinses. Help really needed here. I don't really want false teeth at 61.
Many thanks for any ideas.
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 45 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query.

I can understand your concern for these symptoms and they can be due to periodontal disease which effects the periodontal tissue like alveolar bone, ligaments and gingival causing bleeding gums, localized pain, loose teeth, pockets between the gum and the tooth, redness and swelling.

Oral hygiene is of great importance in treating and preventing periodontal disease and it is good that you are brushing twice daily and flossing your teeth. Also try restricting sugar as it is is known to significantly increase plaque accumulation by feeding the bacteria that cause the infection while decreasing white blood cell function.

Fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fiber should be taken and take plenty of sardines, canned salmon, dark XXXXXXX leafy vegetables (spinach, collards, XXXXXXX turnip greens, mustard mustard greens) broccoli, brazil nuts, tofu and all soy products, sunflower seeds, also take vitamin C and calcium supplements in diet.

In addition get tartar removed regularly and use enzymatic agents containing lysozyme, lactoperozidase, glucose oxidase, mutanase, and dextranase. You can get them prescribed from your dentist.

If the symptoms persist then surgical techniques like open flap curettage and soft tissue and bone grafts may be undertaken. A more advanced technique called guided tissue regeneration can be used to stimulate bone and gum tissue growth.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor