Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
176 Doctors are Online

What tests to undergo if person is having memory problem?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5565 Questions
This question is regarding my father's health. Well he says that he is forgetting things these days. He says that he has a hard time remembering people's name and sometimes he even forgets to do stuff that he is meant to. I would like to know what course of action should i take now? and what screening tests should he undergo so confirm what is the actual problem he is suffering?
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 23 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi Mr XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your query and informing about your father's health problem. His symptoms are related to mild dysfunction of the brain, which could be due to mild cognitive impairment or early dementia. He needs clinical examination by a neurologist to confirm this. Initial investigations would include 1. Brain scan- CT or MRI brain 2. Serum vitamin B12 level, 3. Thyroid profile. I hope my reply has helped you. I would be pleased to answer, if you have any follow up queries or if you require any further information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, For DIRECT QUERY to me: My blog:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What tests to undergo if person is having memory problem? 1 hour later
First of all thank you very much for such a swift and brief reply. Now that i know what screening test my father has to undergo, i would be really grateful if you could point me towards a good neurologist in Bangalore (as it is my current residing city) whom my father can consult regarding his problem as it would be difficult for me to travel to any other city.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: There are quite a few good neurologists and hospitals in Bangalore. Some options are: 1. Dr XXXXXXX Srinivas- Manipal Hospital 2. Dr Guruprasad- Columbia Asia Hospital 3. Dr XXXXXXX Iyer- XXXXXXX Hospital Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor