Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

What should be done for severe vitamin D deficiency?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2408 Questions
Hello Doctor, I just got my wife tested for Vitamin D and Vitamin B12. The results are: Vitamin D : 9.53 ng/ml Vitamin B-12 : 195 pg/ml We are worried about her very high deficiency in Vitamin D. Please suggest the remedies.
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 46 minutes later
Brief Answer: treatment required Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Your wife seems to have severe vitamin D deficiency (less than 10 ng/ml). Her B12 levels are also low but not severely low. I would suggest the following remedies: - 50,000 IU of vitamin D orally once weekly for 2-3 months as initial treatment. Followed by maintenance/prevention daily dose of 2000 IU or more will be needed to avoid recurrent deficiency. Please discuss with her treating physician about the same. Hope this helps you. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What should be done for severe vitamin D deficiency? 22 hours later
Thank you Doctor. From the past 1-2 months, she is also experiencing a clicking/squeaking sound in her right knee whenever she is climbing stairs. One of the lifestyle changes made beore this knee pain came is that she had joined a gym. Is the knee pain due to onset of arthritis?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 1 hour later
Brief Answer: too early for arthritis to set in Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX It is too early at 31 yrs for arthritis to set in. It may be due to stress on the knee joint and the muscles around it. It would be better for her to avoid heavy exercises for sometime. she can do light exercises and stretching. With effective treatment for Vitamin D, she must be able to get back to original normal health. Regards,
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor