What precautionary measures should I take when diagnosed with BP of 140/100?

Dr. Vaishalee Punj

Posted on Wed, 22 Aug 2018 in General Health
Question: Hi,
Recently I visited a blood donation camp for donation blood. There the doctor checked my blood pressure and it was 140/100, which is quite high. They told it's ok to donate blood but I have to take preventive measure. Could you please let me know what should I do now. Just to inform, I'm a smoker and I smoke around 3 cigarettes per day XXXXXXX I try avoiding junk food and eating out. And I'm not much physically active. I never felt any uneasiness due to my high BP, actually I never felt I have high BP.
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Its marginal.

Detailed Answer:

The BP reading is marginal. High BP usually does not present with any symptoms.

To confirm that there is hypertension, BP should be higher than normal i.e more than 140 and or 90 on at least three different visits/checkups.

Yes healthy lifestyle definitely helps. In diet you can take more fruits and vegetables. Cut down on salt and salty foods. Avoid high calorie foods like cheese, butter, ghee, ice creams, etc. Take hygienic food and drink cleaner water. Also exercise regularly for at least 30 min a day. It can include gym, walk, yoga, swimming, cycling, any physical activity in good mood.

Smoking is hazardous to health. It starts by affecting the lungs and decreasing oxygen supply to body. It must be discontinued. Body does react to the smoke in many ways.

Take care. Hope it helps.

Dr. Vaishalee Punj, General & Family Physician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj