What medical issues can cause oversleeping?

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 22 Nov 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Thanks for being online! I have been sleeping A LOT the past couple of months; last night i slept 11 hours, and just took a 2 hour nap. This concerns me
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation.

Detailed Answer:

Hello, and thanks for your question.

Fatigue can be caused by a variety of things. The most likely thing is that this is a normal variation in the amount of sleep you need. Or perhaps it is related to stress in your environment. Less likely possibilities include a major depressive episode, or a thyroid problem or anemia. I would visit your primary care doctor for a thorough physical examination and basic bloodwork.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website.

Hope this answers your query...

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe, Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T